Tuesday 16 July 2013

magic scratch paper inspired nail art tutorial






The Lady Boys of Bangkok have teemed up with Bad Apple Cosmetics to allow me to do a fun nail art tutorial for you all! I've done something a bit different inspired by that scratch paper you used to get as a child where it would be colourful underneath with a black layer on top which you would scratch off in a pattern to reveal the bright colours underneath! This is very different to my usual pretty floral nails so I hope you like it for a bit of a change!
Also how do you like this layout for a tutorial? Is it good or shall I stick to how I normally do the photos and put it into a grid?

start off by painting a base coat to protect your nails- I used the top and base coat from Bad Apple Cosmetics
paint random colours on your nails in whatever pattern you want (this can be as neat or as messy as you want it to be as it will be covered up! I chose to use 'mint candy apple' by Essie and 'barn' by Bad Apple Cosmetics as they were a nice contrast to the colour I used for the top layer
using striping tape (mine is from the Rio professional nail art collection* but you can find it cheap on eBay/amazon) to make a pattern of lines across your nail. This must be done when the polish beneath is completely dry and I'd wait a good half an hour if I was you before putting the tape on to prevent the polish underneath from peeling off once you remove the tape!
Paint a thin layer of the top colour over the nail- I used 'almata' from Bad Apple Cosmetics. While it's still wet peel away the tape, I find it's easiest using tweezers as it can be quite fiddly at times as the pieces of tape are tiny, sticky and covered in nail polish- loveeeely!
once it's all completely dry finish with a top coat to prevent chips and make it last longer- I used the Bad Apple Cosmetics top and base coat to finish the design off

this is a very versatile design as you can use any colour combination you want! I like using the striping tape as it's fairly easy to use and gives very precise lines which would be very hard to make with a striper brush.


The Bad Apple nail polishes retail for £9.95 and are available here
You can check out the Lady Boys of Bangkok's Facebook and Twitter pages too to find out more



I was sent the Bad Apple Cosmetics nail polish to feature in a nail art post but this does not influence my opinion on them and it is 100% honest as always






9 comments:

  1. Such a good idea - so simple too! Great post - I'm definitely going to try this out!
    Rachael x
    Rachaeleeno | Beauty, Fashion & Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it. It's so lovely!
    hareem x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this tutorial layout and I love this design. It's gorgeous!

    Mana
    Fashion and Happy Things

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah, these nails are so pretry . Why cant I do nails like that?! Your blog is perfect x

    Rebecca xx

    ribbonsandbowsox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a unique way to do nails, I've never seen anything like it so I look forward to trying it!

    I have followed you. Please check out my blog and follow if you like what you see :)
    http://whoistanyaxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderfullllllllllll. I always want to try something like this but never get around to it!! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was searching the blogs for a long time and that is good to know that I have found such blogs here. Great working! Keep it up!Danny Nguyen

    ReplyDelete

I would love you to leave a comment on my UK beauty, fashion and nail art blog islaay.com to give me your suggestions for posts, nail art tutorial requests and any other questions or comments you have.