Tuesday 4 September 2012

DIY dotting tool!

okay so if you've read my blog for a while or have ever checked out one of my nail posts before you'll of heard me nattering on about dotting tools. These little beauties are my a nail art adict's best friend. But did you know there was a really easy and practically free way to make your own one at home?! This is what I used to use before I bought my own set and it did me proud!

You will need:
♥ a pencil with a rubber on the end (mine's Cath Kidston of course...)
♥ a pin

okay now this couldn't be any easier, you simply push the pin into the rubber and voila!

For a smaller dotting tool I used to get a hair pin and open it out and the round ball bit on the end made the perfect circle shape! Also a cocktail stick works well for really tiny dots!

If you don't want to buy your own dotting tools then these are all great alternatives!
I got my dotting tools from eBay and they were around £2 with free delivery for five double ended ones! (just search for dotting tools in the search bar!)

*update* I was just sent a post by Jess on twitter which she has written with another great idea for a dotting tool! Check out her post here to see what her idea is!

let me know how you get on with doing this!




14 comments:

  1. This is such a good idea! Definitely going to try this now:) xoxo

    theprettyseason.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to cut cocktail sticks in half and then file it so the edges aren't jagged and sharp, it made a good-sized circle :) cannot go wrong with the hair pen though! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. i always use a cocktail stick as i dont want to buy a proper tool, but this will be really great for larger dots :D thanks! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You Islay! :D

    Jess http://riversiderose.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You cleaver person! Haha this is such a great idea! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so creative! Thanks for the tip!!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely blog!
    I'm now following you, and it would be really kind of you if you wanted to follow me back! :) x

    http://fashionandbeautybyhelena.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a smart idea, thankyou!

    please take a look, www.happyrebekah.blogspot.co.uk
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great idea! I've been wondering whether I should go out and buy an actual dotting tool but I think I'm going to just do this instead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found you via BBU but omg. Your blog is amazing and with your two recent posts I've found out cool things I'd never think of! I can't wait to have a proper read in a second!!!
    http://www.beautyblogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is quite genius to be honest! So simple but yet I never thought about it.
    Fee xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a good idea! i'll definitely be trying this whilst waiting for my dotting pens to be ordered! thankyou.

    I followed you, follow me back please?xx
    http://demigeorgia.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG I DO THE SAME THING!! lol

    ReplyDelete

I would love you to leave a comment on my UK beauty, fashion and nail art blog islaay.com to give me your suggestions for posts, nail art tutorial requests and any other questions or comments you have.