Wednesday 6 March 2013

which drugstore brand does it best?


during one of the #bbloggers chats recently I was talking to another blogger (completely forgotten who it was though, sorry!) when I came up with the idea of doing a 'which drugstore brand does it best' post with different categories and which drugstore brand does that set of products best. This of course is just my opinion and I obviously haven't tried every single lipstick/mascara etc available on the highstreet but through a lot of trial and error here is my list of brands that I usually look to first if I am after a specific product. There are obviously a lot more product categories than this so if this post goes down well then I may have a #2 coming your way!
lets start with one of my favourite topics- nail polish. Through doing lots of trial and error (I have over 150 nail polishes now...) I have found Barry M to be the best in terms of colour range, quality and price. These retail at just £2.99 each and they have so many colours to choose from, ranging from pastels to neons. They also do a large range of special effects such as textured, magnetic and crackle polishes. They last really well on the nails and are very opaque (some only need one coat). I have around 25 of them now and my collection is still growing! 
A close second is the Models Own polishes. I don't have very many of them but the ones that I do have are very good! They have a very creamy consistancy to them and are also very well pigmented meaning you don't need many coats of them. They also have a very good colour range and they retail at £5 each.
next is concealer. I feel like concealing is one of the main parts to any makeup look as once you have a good base it's easy to do pretty much any look that you like! The Collection 2000 lasting perfection concealer is a firm favourite with many bloggers and it has a very good reason to be. It's amazing and for the price it really is unbeatable! I use mine both under my eyes and on any blemishes and it does a really good job at covering them up all day and helping my face look more flawless. Oh and it's only £4.19 in boots too, bargain!
lip products are another firm favourite product group of mine! If I go into sixth form without a bright lip on my friends instantly ask if I'm not feeling well which shows how much I wear one! Revlon is one of my favourite brands (more on them later) and I feel like they have been so on point with all their recent lip product releases. Their cherries in the snow lipstick is one I wear almost daily and there was so so much hype surrounding their lip butters and the kissable balm stains when they were first launched. I could so easily go super overboard and buy all of the shades of each lip product as they're all so lovely and they have a range of both wearable  and statement colours but if I did then I would probably end up broke so that wouldn't be the best of ideas.
A close second to Revlon is Rimmel. I feel like Rimmel have really stepped up their game recently as regards to new releases, especially with lip products. I especially loved their Kate Moss matte lipstick in the shade 107 and their Apocolips in the shade 'big bang' and so did so many other bloggers- the amount of positive reviews that came up in my news feed on blogger with people saying they couldn't live without their lip products was insane!
I haven't tried too many liquid eyeliners but from the ones that I have tried the L'Oreal superliners are definitely the best. They glide on like a dream, last for hours on the eye and the actual product doesn't dry up very quickly which means you don't have to keep repurchasing it. I used to have the carbon gloss one but I seem to have misplaced it so I've gone back to using the purple one for hazel eyes (it's still black, just with the tiniest hint of purple to it to bring out your eye colour). They have a small spongey applicator which gives you lots of precision so whether you want to create a thin line or a large cat eye flick you are able to. They retail for £6.49 each in boots and there is no liquid eyeliner that has come anywhere near being a second for me.
this is the second time I've mentioned Revlon in this post but their foundations are by far my favourite. I've got through countless bottles of photoready and I've only just started using the nearly naked one. I also love their colourstay one but I don't have one at the moment to include in the photo. I love how natural the finish of them in but they're all buildable too and last well on the skin. They have a pretty decent colour range and there is also a SPF 20 in them which is great! Oh and a little bit goes a long way as I would say they have a medium coverage so a bottle lasts for a good length of time for me!
the Rimmel stay matte powder is a firm favourite with the likes of Tanya Burr so you know it must be good! I don't feel like powder is a very exciting product and most brands are pretty similar so you don't need to splash out on an expensive one but this one definitely sets my makeup in place and prevents it from smudging or transferring throughout the day. It doesn't leave a powdery residue on my skin either and it doesn't look cakey which is great!
I'm not too overly fussy with mascara but since discovering the Soap and Glory thick & fast mascara over a year ago I think I've repurchased it at least three times so far! It's got quite a chunky brush to it which is great for adding volume to the lashes but it also isn't very clumpy which is obviously a bonus. A close second is the Maybeline colossal cat eye mascara (I don't currently have one to photograph, sorry!) Maybeline is a brand which I tend to avoid on the whole as after buying literally around 10 pots of their dream matte mousse over a period of a few years when I was younger (which is a horrific foundation) has put me off the brand as a whole.


so that's it! As I said at the beginning please let me know what you think of this idea as I haven't seen anyone else do it so I'm not sure how it will go down but if you like it then I can do a part two! I would love to know what you think so if you blog then I would love to see a post on your opinions on which drugstore brand does it best (please send me a link as I'd love to see) or if not then just leave it as a comment!





26 comments:

  1. This is a great idea for a post, mind if I steal? These are some great picks, I totally agree with the Revlon lip products :] xx

    brutalfashionandbeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally have to agree with the revlon lip product. I love loreal for eyeliners and mascaras. Unfortunately for me drug store brands never have my shade in skin products :(

    Great post! xx

    http://mylushbox.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely agree that Revlon do the best lip products on the high street, no one else even comes close x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love Revlon lip products - especially the balm stains, I seem to wear mine most days! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Soap & Glory mascara, the stay matte powder from Rimmel and the Superliner from l'oreal! I all have them myself and absolutely adore them! :D x Laura
    styleandsushi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea! I love the thick and fast mascara and revlon balm stains too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! It's a great idea, and I totally agree with all of this! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've heard a lot about the Revlon foundations lately, I think I'll be trying one out when I need to replace my current bottle. I love that you've done a pick of high street available and affordable brands!
    sophiellafashion.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a really good idea for a post. I have to agree with the nail varnish and powder,they are my fav brands for them xx

    thesecretblogger1830.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great idea for a post! I now really really want to try the L'Oreal liners- especially the one for hazel eyes. You have so many nail polishes! I really want to get more nude polishes and I think I'll try more Barry M xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with all your picks, especially the Rimmel powder. Lovely post! xx

    Cupcakes And Cocaine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post!
    Lovely colours <3
    I'm following
    xoxo
    http://fiona-terry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Revlon is the best for lip products indeed! <3 Pretty much agree with all your picks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post, i love the idea! Most of these are my faves too :) Revlon and Rimmel are killing it atm!

    Sophierosehearts x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like Revlon products:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great and unique post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great posts, I love the powder and concealer!

    A little bit Unique

    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great series! I haven't tried many of these products, but want to now! I am intrigued by the foundations the most, since I have only just dipped my toes into the drugstore foundation waters after being a high end girl for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My favorites are definitely Revlon for lip products and Barry M for nails x

    ReplyDelete
  20. totally agree about the Revlon lipsticks and Barry M nail polish!

    www.boldinballerinass.blogspot.co.uk

    Kamila xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing post! I love Rimmel! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Revlon's got the best lip products, I have a post about one of my favourite Revlon lipsticks :)

    http://willowsworld92.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/revlon-love-that-red.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Definitely enjoyed reading this post and would love to see a second one! love all the brands you've mentioned, especially the Barry M polishes, Revlon lipbutters and Rimmel powder! xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I need to do a 'cheap' make up shop in Superdrug to get some Revlon lip butters & the gorgeous colours with Barry M. I really am liking the pastels colours this spring so think I'll kit myself out in Barry M's nail polishes for that too.

    ReplyDelete

I would love you to leave a comment on my UK beauty, fashion and nail art blog islaay.com to give me your suggestions for posts, nail art tutorial requests and any other questions or comments you have.